Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring

Okay, Mister Sun, I'm seriously ready to see you again at some point in the very near future. The calendar is crawling ever closer to April... The spring equinox is just next week....

Yet every morning when I wake up, a grey, overcast, cloudy sky greets me.

In years past, it really didn't bother me. But this year? This year, it's driving me nuts.

I calculated that the last time I saw the sun two days in a row was - ready for it? - back in January.

Yes, the sun has peeked out here and there for a couple of hours, but never for very long. And never long enough that I need to get my sunglasses out.

And it's not just me. The ladies in yoga class last night said that they noticed it, too. Colden's preschool teacher agreed with me this morning and said that she was definitely ready to start seeing some sunshine again.

On the upside of no bright sun every day, it's been fabulous for taking great photos in the bright window in the living room where I have a photo table set up. And I'm still playing with those Twin beads from Preciosa...

What do you know, one pack of those Twin beads happened to perfectly match this absolutely amazing handmade lampwork glass focal bead from Evolving Creations! And I had some lovely salmon-colored matte seed beads and some stunningly perfect purple seed beads, and a couple of sleek, silver s-clasps, and...

It just sort of made itself! The rope is a free tutorial from my lovely friend, Nancy Dale, of NEDbeads. It's a twisted herringbone rope made with Twin seed beads, and it's the perfect weight to complement that focal bead.

I wore it with a very feminine green sweater (the same green as the lampwork and the Twins, wouldn't you know!) a few times, hoping to coax the sun out of hiding, but, alas, still cloudy today. (And supposed to be sub-zero again over the weekend.)

 My body is yearning for spring and sunlight, too. I've started up with my annual spring-change-of-season-runny-nose, and every time I take a forward bend in yoga class, I can feel my ears pop. It'll all clear out as soon as the weather warms up, but until then, I just find myself fantasizing about what it will feel like to walk onto the warm driveway in my bare feet, under the light of the midday sun...

In other new, my photo of Colden drinking sap right out of the tree is today's North Country Public Radio Photo Of the Day! My little man! Almost famous! 

It will be on the NCPR homepage all day today, so make sure you check it out.

On to my daily tasks of blogging, picture-taking, and my daily errand to get my ass out of the house...

2 comments:

NEDbeads said...

Thanks so much for the shout out, Jennifer -and I'm with you, some sun would be awesome... of course, we still don't have any here. That's a WICKED cool pic of Colden!! Congrats on having it picked up and used like that!! I loooooooooooooove your necklace, too!!!

Beadcomber said...

You're in New Jersey, I'm in B.C. and I too am lacking in sun. Like your weather, here too we've barely seen the sun since last October...two days in a row? not happening and I'm seriously starting to feel signs of depression despite using a sunlamp. Ugh...what is with the weather!!? gone south...obviously