Thursday, May 03, 2012

My Hometown

For this photo-a-day challenge, today is supposed to be a photo of your home town. I'm still going back and forth about that, since I've lived here in Jay for nearly twelve years now, but I still think of my home town as Maplewood, N.J., where I grew up.

A couple of years ago, I made a trip into NYC for a seminar when I was working at About.com, and while I was there, I took an extra day and revisited some of my old haunts in Maplewood. This is a shot of Maplewood Village, the "old" downtown area full of shops and cafes and restaurants.

I was happy to see there was still an independent book shop in town. When I was a kid, this place was called The Book Stop, and my parents would bribe us to clean up our room by offering a reward of ten new paperbacks each to my sister and I if we complied. (And then, of course, we had twenty new books with which to mess up our bedroom all over again!)





The Maplewood train station and some of the artwork that adorns the walls of the passage between tracks.


My old street and the house where I grew up. The house is for sale again, if anyone is interested. I think the asking price is $350,000. And the inside looks nothing like it did when we were living there.

I don't have too many photos of my current home town of Jay. But here are a couple of pictures of a crazy snow storm we had back in 2011.

This was our road at ten a.m. on the morning of a blizzard. It was one of those mornings where it was perfectly safe to just walk out into the middle of the road, since the snow was coming down so hard and so fast and it was so quiet that you could hear a car or a plow coming from miles away.

And our house in that same blizzard. It was one of those winters where it felt like everything was going to be covered in snow forever, and you almost forgot what the sun looked like. Thankfully, we have our wonderful wood stove to provide heat and light through the darkest days of winter.

On to other things today... Have to try to get some beadwork done, have newsletters to proof out to the team, and Colden is home with a case of self-imposed constipation today. That should make for an interesting blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great neighborhood to grow up in. Did you feel the nostalgia as you passed by the street? I'm sure you did; seeing an old place definitely brings back memories. Your old house looks interesting too. I hope that someone will come to buy this in the soonest time possible.

Lakesha Session @Rose Property Management