Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Enchanted Evenings

A few weeks ago, a wonderful bead artist named Laura Zeiner sent me a copy of her pattern called Enchanted Evenings. I was totally smitten with the carved bone skulls, and she was nice enough to also send me a little bag of them!


Choosing the colors for this was both fun and a little challenging. Ever since my color studies with Margie Deeb, I've been trying to limit myself to no more than 4 or 5 colors in a piece. But for this piece, all bets were off! I just dove into my beads and pulled up whatever colors looked even remotely good together, and some that I probably would never have used together in a million years until I tried this pattern.

My work pad was slightly messier than usual, too:


I just spread those colors out all over! Honestly, by the time I was finished and ready to just add the picot edging around the piece, I was really, really happy to clean up all those little piles of beads. Not sure what that was about, either. I usually feel very comfortable with a big, messy pile of beads in front of me. Maybe this is the start of me finally cleaning up the OTHER piles of beads and books and clothes that litter my world!

In other matters...this morning when we all piled into the van to take Colden to preschool, Moose let out a huge burp. Colden started giggling and giggled the whole way down to Miss Mona's! That kid has the best laugh, I swear. He giggles with his whole mouth open. Added to that hilarity was the fact that he was totally bundled up to play outside in the 32 degree temperatures, and he just melted me!

Lots of meetings today, and then one more tomorrow before I get to go up to the Cultural Center on Friday morning and meditate with the Buddhist monks visiting from southern India! So excited about that...to be continued!

2 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

I love your necklace it is so neat with all the different colors and the skulls. Have a nice time in India.
Therese

VanBeads said...

Therese - I'm not actually going to India! I wish! The monks have traveled from southern India to my little corner of upstate New York for a two week celebration of Tibetan arts and culture. I feel incredibly blessed that they will be here until the 29th of April, and I can't wait to see what I can learn from them!