Thursday, January 12, 2012

Night Owl

Back before I had Colden, I used to be a night owl. I would stay up into the wee hours of the morning after Tom went to sleep, beading and watching movies and sketching. I was always like that, even when I was a kid. If I went to bed before eleven p.m., it was an early night. Even when I owned the shop, we didn't open until ten in the morning, so I could easily sleep in until eight or nine after a long night of beading and art-making.

Since I had Colden, however, things have been different. Obviously, when you have a newborn, you sleep when you can. And then when Colden started with his crazy sleeping-waking patterns, I had to continue to sleep whenever I could. I found myself so exhausted at the end of the day that I couldn't stay awake past nine, even if I tried.

Lately, though, I've found that I start to get my creative juices going after dinner - which, of course, conflicts with other things like bath time and bed time and what precious little time I get to spend alone with Tom these days.

I'd love to find a way to get back into the swing of things and be able to work late into the night. But Tom gets up and is out the door around six every morning; Colden needs to be dressed, fed and ready to head out the door by eight-thirty. There's no way I can stay awake until two and then be up at six to get Colden ready.

But night time is always when I feel like I come alive. It's when my fingers and my beads all seem to be able to come together and the work and the designs just flow... One day, I'll be able to get back into my night time groove. Just not now. I just need to find a way to make my groove work during the day.

No comments: