Monday, November 01, 2010

Well, This Just Sucks.


I just found out that there is going to be a major contemporary bead art exhibit that opens this Friday at the North Country Cultural Center for the Arts in Plattsburgh, a mere forty five minutes from my home. This is probably the first time that beadwork of this caliber and by so many major artists is going to be shown in the North Country, and I would love to go to the opening and check it out, take some photos and do a writeup for the About.com site.

Unfortunately for me, I also just found out that the show organizer is someone who is so highly toxic to me that I can't stand even the thought of being in the same room with her again, even for just a few minutes. She has said some incredibly hurtful and demeaning things to me in the past, and when we were business partners together in Plattsburgh, she threatened me with legal action and financial ruin when I left the partnership, at her request.

Part of me is saying, well, come on, now, you're a big girl - just go up there, take some photos, and get on with it. The other part of me is saying, forget it - it's not worth the stress of seeing this person again, and there's always the option of taking a quiet Saturday morning or mid-week trip to the gallery to see the exhibition when no one will be around except for me and my camera.

So, that'll give me something to chew on for the next few days.














In the meantime, just in case I do decide to go to the opening, I'll need something beaded and fabulous to wear. So my goal is to have this beaded cab finished and attached to a leather collar before Friday afternoon. Can I do it? Stay tuned!

4 comments:

NEDbeads said...

Wow, that does indeed suck!!! I wish I could go, too - that would be awesome! No such luck here... I feel bad that a toxic person is making you miss out - but I also know exactly where you are coming from. It would keep me from going, as well. And I LOVE your brooch!!!!

NEDbeads said...

...even if it is going to be a collar instead!!! Yowza, I need more coffee...

Katie said...

That sucks! Too bad we can't all be there to surround you like your own personal Secret Service to protect you from the negative beings in the universe :o)

There's part of me that says Miss Negative USA wins if you don't go...And that's the same part of me that says you should be SUPER nice to her before she has the chance to send any snark your way - kill the ugly before it happens!

But, there's that other part of me that's sitting there saying "yeah, Lady...Easier said than done...I'd like to see YOU do that."

Love the piece you're working on - and I really do hate that Miss Negative USA will be there and that it could potentially keep you from going and enjoying yourself!

Shirley said...

Jennifer,
You know there will always be ugly people in your life. You have been such a blessing to me and so many others with your wonderful tutorials, blogs, and insights in the world of beading. You are the only one who can decide your attitude is what I keep telling my son. Whatever you decide, please remember that you are awesome in so many peoples' lives. Blessings, Shirley