Friday, May 28, 2010

Nap Time

It's days like this that I relish nap time, when Colden lays down and has his milk and I read him a story, then he snuggles up with his blanket and his favorite stuffed animal of the day, and I get a little bit of a breather. In the winter, it means curling up on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate and Moose; in the summer, it means curling up in my own bed or on the back porch with my laptop or my beads. Sometimes, it means crashing in bed for a much-needed nap after a long night of constant awakenings.

I'm going to start needing nap time even more, since last week, I found out that I am pregnant with our second child! Tom and I had talked about having another baby, and how nice it would be for Colden to have a sibling. But for a while, we thought it probably wasn't going to happen. What a nice surprise last weekend!

Of course, we've timed it all wrong again - my due date this time (until I'm told otherwise by the dating ultrasound in two weeks) is January 28. Another winter baby! Another terrified Tom, worried about having to get up to Plattsburgh in the snow and ice in case there's a storm.

And because I'm over 35, at my first appointment with the midwife last week, she absolutely put the fear of God into me over things like Down's Syndrome and Trisomy 18, and we get to go to Burlington to have a special ultrasound called an Ultrascreen to detect any abnormalities. But I've decided that I'm not going to worry about anything until someone tells me to worry - when Colden was still in utero, one of the ultrasounds detected a small cyst on the part of his brain that makes the spinal fluid. By the time of the re-check, however, the cyst had completely resolved itself and disappeared, and he's been a happy, healthy baby (and now a happy, healthy little boy!) ever since.

And since Colden has been asleep for forty five minutes now, I need to get busy and get some writing done so I can make a decent dinner tonight and then maybe try to get to bed at a decent hour!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh! Congratulations Jennifer! How exciting! And you're right, don't worry about a single thing, unless you have reason to. I simply detest when the first thing caregivers do is list off the bad possibilities right off the bat.

Awww! How sweet! :)

Unknown said...

Oh suprizes are the best! I had a big surprise with our son Derek. Our daughter was 12 at the time and I was 36. Idid not have any special tests and felt the same about waiting to see if anything told me to worry. All turned out great! I wish you all the best!

Marcia DeCoster said...

What a wonderful time for you! congratulations on adding to your family.