Saturday, April 11, 2009

So much to do, so little time...

Feels like every day, I always leave a million things undone. Whether it's the cleaning or the laundry or something else for the business (like doing the books - eeks!), by the time Colden goes down for the night, I'm faced with a dilemma: catch up on some much-needed sleep or sit in front of the computer for a few hours more and try to be productive? Last night, I just gave up - after sitting in front of the computer for forty five minutes and realizing that I had just re-read the same line over about six times, I checked out Facebook and then started playing a computer game. Not exactly what you'd call productive.

But this morning, I FINALLY finished cleaning out the closet in Colden's room that I've been meaning to clean out for like two years now. I took six bags of clothing to the thrift shop, and I cleaned the living room and the kitchen. Tom has Colden in the backpack, fast asleep, and is doing the floors as I put my feet up for a few minutes before I go start lunch for us.

We're hoping the chickens give us a few more eggs before we start hard-boiling them this afternoon for decorating at Tom's parents' house tomorrow afternoon. We thought they might like to watch their grandson color eggs, even if Mommy and Daddy are doing most of it! Last year, we postponed Easter by a week because I was sick in bed with mastitis and was just so exhausted that I could barely move. We decorated eggs the week after Easter, and then had our big Easter feast with his folks that same weekend. Colden, as I recall, sat in his baby swing and watched us color eggs until he had one of his infamous ass-plosions that required a hosing off in the bathtub! Aaah, those were the days.

Anyway, I finally got to watch the end of "Marley and Me" this morning while Tom was out trying to scare up a few colonies of bees for us for this summer. It was totally something I could relate to - even if I don't quite look like Jennifer Aniston and I'm not exactly married to Owen Wilson. Ha! But the whole thing just really rang true to me - the early days of being a parent, forming an attachment to your pooch, trying to figure out what you want out of life - those themes are universal. And they portrayed them so well. I swear my husband and I have had those same arguments that John and Jen had in the movie, verbatim. I wish I could get Tom to watch it, but he doesn't want to see the end.

Since I'm not going to be doing much else this weekend, I'll just post a picture of the piece that Beadwork wants to publish in their Feb/March 2010 issue. I call it "Ode to a Grecian Urn", but I don't know what they will rename it for publication! So, here's hoping that everyone has a wonderful Passover and Easter weekend!

No comments: